Friday, November 5, 2010

Grammar Rant

Occasionally, along with the Grammar Goodies,  I will feel compelled to throw in a Grammar Rant. These will appear randomly, usually when something outrageously wrong crops up in my inbox. Today's Grammar Rant stems from a mass of student emails requesting permission numbers. Now, I am perfectly happy to hand out permission numbers whenever I can, and I have no problem with students sending me permission number requests. And I am THRILLED when students write back after hearing from me (most do not).

Anyway, here's what's getting my back up today.

There is no such word as ALRIGHT.

I can't tell you how many times polite students will respond to my response with the following:

"Alright, I understand. Thanks anyway."

The correct form is ALL RIGHT.

Really, trust me--there is no such word as ALRIGHT.

There, now I feel better...

No comments: