Saturday, September 1, 2012

"Me and my buddies"?

Why is that so many well-educated, smart, ambitious young people now routinely say something like "Me and my buddies wanted to play the game so we downloaded it last night."

Really? "me" as the subject of a sentence? Would you ever dream of saying "Me wanted to play the game so I downloaded it last night"? Of course not. You know better. And no one wants to sound like Cookie Monster once you've passed your tween years.

So, why say "me and my buddies" as the subject of a sentence? Where did this come from? I never heard this, except from uneducated people, before a few years ago. I know that language changes with the times, and some of those changes are good and necessary, but this one is awful.

I don't know how to say this without sounding obnoxious, but if you speak this way in a job interview or at a meeting, you will sound uneducated.

Do yourself a favor. Listen to what you say (something few of us do) and see if you say "me and my...." routinely. If you find you're doing it, stop. "Me and my friends" as the subject simply must be changed to "My friends and I."

Please.

And if any of you can enlighten me as to where you think this came from, I'd love to hear your ideas.

No comments: